This is not an entry-level course. Before taking this course, you should have previous coding experience or education and have completed either the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant with Medical Billing and Coding course or the Medical Billing and Coding course.
CCS candidates must meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- By Credential: RHIA®, RHIT®, or CCS-P® OR
- By Education: The following courses MUST be completed; anatomy & physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, medical terminology, reimbursement methodology, intermediate/advanced ICD diagnostic/procedural and CPT coding; OR
- By Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of related coding experience directly applying codes; OR
- By Credential with Experience: CCA® plus one (1) year of coding experience directly applying codes; OR
- Other Coding credential from other certifying organization plus one (1) year coding experience directly applying codes.
If you do not qualify for the CCS exam, you may still be eligible for the Certified Coding Associate (CCA®) an entry-level certification exam offered by AHIMA or the American Association of Professional Coders Apprentice level certification, the Certified Professional Coder Apprentice (CPC-A) or Certified Inpatient Coder (CICTM). This course will prepare you for those certifications as well, and you'll find more information about them in the Certification Prep lesson at the end of the course.