To take this program, you'll need the following prerequisite skills:
- The ability to create documents using Microsoft Word (any version). All reports submitted to the instructor for grading must be created using Microsoft Word (MS Works, Corel Word Perfect, or other word processing programs are NOT compatible).
- Proficiency in keyboarding. Accuracy is most important at first, but some jobs pay based on production, so speed will become a factor.
- E-mail capabilities.
- Internet-browsing capabilities. You may need to use the Internet to look up information on medical terms, drugs, procedures, etc., when you can't find them in your reference books.
- Knowledge of English grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. When changing the spoken word to the written word, all these aspects of language become even more vital.
- The ability to discern what is being said, and more importantly, what is meant, even if the person dictating has accented speech.
- The ability to comply with the student-led, self-motivated aspects of this program.
This program is for you if you possess the skills listed above and you're interested in gaining the education necessary to enter the medical transcription field.